DevOps is an extremely technical, demanding team that functions at the center of MuleSofts business objectives. Were obsessively focused on maintaining high availability for all of the services we manage while also implementing the infrastructure solutions that our product teams need in order to succeed. To accomplish this, weve implemented a cutting edge public cloud environment on top of Amazon Web Services, composed from Linux hosts running a variety of open source software like NGINX, Tomcat, NodeJS, MongoDB, Drupal, and, naturally enough, Mule.
In order to maintain and manage these services, weve also built a configuration management toolset based on SaltStack to load and run everything, and a monitoring architecture leveraging Zabbix to let us know when things break.
As a DevOps engineer at MuleSoft, you will be constantly presented with new challenges with an enormous scope and endless variety. On any given day, you might be troubleshooting a performance degradation for one of our critical SaaS services, writing automation code to help a broken application automatically recover, designing the system architecture for a new platform service, implementing new monitoring logic, or any of a million other things.
Were looking for technology generalists with a strong bias to action, excellent analytical skills, and a taste for good engineering. In exchange, we offer an unbeatable work environment, autonomy and support to do whats right, generous compensation, and limitless room for growth.
Goals for your first three months:
- Get access to everything and set up required tools to start working on all DevOps efforts
- Confluence review of current cloud operations documentation
- Go over architecture for: CloudHub / ARM / Analytics / CoreServices / API Manager / Flow Designer / Exchange
- Learn Automation Tools / Pipeline tools / SaltStack / Terraform in depth
- Start getting involved in early projects, such as deploying a mule application and understanding our users basic workflows
- Understand monitoring systems in depth
- Become comfortable enough with the platform to start on call
- Start handling simple change requests
- Start more projects, such as reviewing one or more applications pipeline service end to end and improving it, moving improvement all the way to production
- Develop infrastructure automation tools to eliminate manual effort, and to detect and resolve potential problems before they degrade
- Become the subject matter expert for a particular MuleSoft service, working in tight cooperation with the relevant software team
- Provide operational support for software deployments and production incident response
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong background in Linux systems, including shell scripting and performance tuning
- Excellent understanding of Internet technologies and protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, SSL, etc.)
- Previous experience operating a large-scale, high-uptime environment on a public cloud provider like AWS or RackSpace
- Coding skills in Python, PHP, or another interpreted language like perl or ruby
- Knowledge about the deployment and maintenance of Java web applications, or with LAMP stack apps
- Experience using a configuration management tool like SaltStack, Puppet or Chef
- Familiarity with general monitoring principles, as well as tools like Zabbix, Nagios, New Relic, Stackdriver, Pingdom, etc.
What youll get from us:
We realize exceptional people dont choose jobs based solely on benefits, but we do our best to make sure that youre set up for success so you can do your best work. As a Muley, youll be based in our downtown Union Square HQ and receive comprehensive health benefits, life insurance, paid parental leave, 401K, equity, and flexible vacation time. Plus the fun stuff, like a fully stocked kitchen, catered lunches, volunteer opportunities, onsite happy hours and free yoga classes, annual rafting trip and offsite activities, and MeetUp, our annual all-company offsite in San Diego. Check out our Life at MuleSoft page to learn more!