Manager, Device Devel. Operations
Semicon device proc.
III-V device design
Job Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018
Expires On: Friday, August 03, 2018
Job Type: Permanent
Duration: 1+ years
Desired Experience: 6-10 years
Work Authorization: Resident/Citizen, Citizen, H1-B, EAD
Job Title: Manager, Device Development Operations
Reports To: Director, Device Technology
About The Team: The Device Development team is a small group of engineers and technicians responsible for forward-looking R&D to boost the efficiency and manufacturability of Altas III-V photovoltaic solar cell technology. We currently hold the world record for sunlight-to-electricity conversion efficiency for single-junction solar cells under non-concentrated sunlight.
What We Need: The Device Development team is seeking a highly-motivated engineering operations and lab manager to help organize our daily efforts. This is an exciting, multifaceted opportunity that will, among other things, involve the management of technicians; interfacing with R&D, Engineering, and Production; equipment and chemical inventory upkeep; tracking lots in our manufacturing execution system (MES); and ensuring the quality of data for consumption by R&D engineers.
What Youll Do:
- Manage a team of 3 or more technicians across 24 hour, 7 day/week shift schedules, including but not limited to: scheduling and organizing training, assigning daily priorities and setting work schedules, providing coaching, setting team goals and expectations, and generally making sure work is getting done as efficiently as possible.
- Monitor and take appropriate and timely action to meet device fabrication quality and quantity objectives.
- Maintaining R&D equipment as tool owner, primarily device fabrication equipment, including but not limited to: fume hoods, mask aligner, spin coaters, hot plates, electroplating baths, electron beam evaporator, thermal evaporator, process ovens, etc.
- Assist with R&D process development, including identification of processes or equipment that can be improved. Identify and purchase new equipment as appropriate.
- Assist process and hardware troubleshooting when required.
- Engage with the Production and Engineering teams to resolve processing and equipment issues.
- Maintain chemical and supply inventory for R&D team.
- Maintain a clean, well-organized, and safe work area. Implement and maintain safety standards as required by law and company policy.
Skills Youll Need:
- B.S. in physics, electrical engineering, materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or related fields.
- 5+ years of experience in an R&D environment, in the semiconductor or solar industries.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with semiconductor device processing, device characterization, and materials characterization, including but not limited to: photolithography, metal deposition and liftoff, dielectric deposition, electroplating, wet and dry etching, etc.
- 2+ years of laboratory management experience, including management of technicians/operators as well as ownership of fabrication tools.
- Experience using a manufacturing execution system (MES).
- Good understanding of safety protocol and procedures when working with toxic chemicals.
- Willingness to join company Emergency Response Team. Candidate will be required to pass associated physical fitness test, as required by Cal/OSHA.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and persistence.
- Proven track record of fundamental and creative problem solving.
- Excellent communication skills and a positive, creative attitude. Excellent team player.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required.
- High degree of flexibility to work various shift hours, for example to enable training of off-shift technicians.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in physics, electrical engineering, materials science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or related fields preferred.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with III-V device design, device processing, device characterization, and materials characterization preferred.
- 5+ years of laboratory management experience preferred.
- Experience with some or all of the following characterization techniques preferred: current-voltage measurements in the light and dark, and associated parameter extraction; photoluminescence: steady-state intensity, wavelength, imaging, and time-resolved measurement; reflectivity; external quantum efficiency and internal quantum efficiency; Hall effect; deep level transient spectroscopy; capacitance-voltage; band offset, barrier height, and chemical potential.
- Experience with III-V photovoltaic devices and materials preferred.
- Additional software and/or programming skills (e.g. IgorPro, Python, Jupyter) preferred.
- The ideal candidate will also have experience dealing with R&D and production datasets and associated databases, and ensuring that such datasets are appropriately compatible with each other, and that all end users of the data are satisfied.
- Additional experience in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Experience working with, and an understanding of the safety issues associated with, MOCVD reactors preferred.